Friday, November 16, 2007

The goatfather


Taketi herds about 75 goats for his family, which means that he is up by 5 am to drive them to the river for water. By 7:30 he is at school while the goats wander, and by 2pm he is back out into the bush rounding them up. He herds goats 7 days a week, and he does it well, at least that’s what I would like to believe. And though he is only 8 years of age, he has found a way to extort gifts from each and every garden owner that his goats pass on their daily migration to and from the riverbed.

I wasn’t keen to it at first. The goats amble into the yard, prompting me to chase them. And there is Taketi, smiling away, ignoring the fact that the goats are making fast work of our crops. “I have come to greet you” he says in his 3rd grade Kiswahili. I happen to be at about the same level and so I respond by asking about school, news of his home and how his goats are doing that day. He peeks behind me into the house and says, “kuna zawadi leo”? Which, roughly translates to, “do you have any gifts for me today”? To which I usually produce a piece of candy, a banana, or even just a cup of water. His tiny stature doesn’t allow him to see over the live fence, so most times he is either jumping for a peak, or leaning awkwardly to see what’s happening through the wall of thorns. Some nights, as the sun goes down, he even helps me add thick thorny branches to fortify the barrier because his tiny little hands can so ably sneak past the thorns that ensnare me in fits of cursing.

I have slowly had the chance to meet neighbors and learn about his racket. It’s simple, but effective. Give him gifts and he will keep his goats out of your yard. Cross him—deny him treats or toys from town—and you will find goats nibbling away the precious shoots and leaves that you have so dedicatedly sown. His little tire sandals and big pearly white smile don’t fool me. He’s running a little goat syndicate complete with payoffs, retribution and old world black mail. If I tell him we have no treats, he usually gives me one last opportunity by asking “Jennie yupo hapa”? I tell him that Jennie is around, but we still don’t have sweets, and to this he turns slowly, eyes me one last time as if to say, “Your crops are goat food sucka,” and then meanders home.

Travelers beware. If you’re looking for the mugger in a hoodie, you are sure to get taken. The real robbers here are the adorable children that warm your heart and talk you into giving them all your stuff. Taketi has already booked half of the things I own, and I will probably just wheel a couple of suitcases to his place when we leave. I marvel at how we came 10,000 miles to realize that there’s a Dennis the Menace in every town.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Taketi could be a helpful friend, if so reward him and encourage him, in his eyes you have much and he has little so.......share the wealth

Anonymous said...

Yeah Nick, He looks pretty ruthless. Cheryl and I are glad to hear you two are still doing well. Sorry to hear that if we send candy you won't get to eat much of it.
Joe

Jennie D said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennie D said...

Hi Joe and Cheryl....and anonymous. Good to hear from you. And, yes, you are right about the candy. We love receiving it and sharing with the kids here--some babas and mamas too! As for Taketi, he is a mischievous kid but everyone adores him. Hope all is well with you both and thanks for posting!

Love - Jen and Nick

Annie said...

Hi Jennie & Nick! I loved this entry - what a funny story and a cute little guy! Write another entry soon - I check your blog every day! Miss and love you! Annie

Anonymous said...

Hi there Nick and Jennie!
We all celebrated your second anniversary yesterday at Tunnels Beach! We wish you were here with us! The sun was not out yesterday like it was in 2005 at your wedding, but it is still so beautiful there! It sounds like you're having a very interesting time over there, seven months now, time flies doesn't it?!!!!!! I will download the photos and email them to you at gmail! We are having a great time with Chris and the gang, they are so cute, and a barrel of laughs!
love
auntie joan
xxxxxxxxxxxxxoooooooooooo