Friday, October 5, 2007

Volunteers log: Day 135

Jennie has come through a rather nasty fight with a stomach bug. She spent the last few days camped out under the mosquito netting, feverish and reading a Jodi Picoult novel. Wednesday was site visit, which among other things brought, not one, but two boxes from France. Our supervisor Anne came by Land Rover to see us, and reaffirm that we are in fact, the most remote posting that she has under her domain.

As for the package, it contained every essential item necessary for survival in the bush. Jen tore into the Sudoku puzzles and wasn't seen or heard from for a full day except to sharpen her pencil. The package also had two gallon sized bags of M&Ms, which are at this moment being finished (2 days after receiving the package). There were also several large chocolate bars of possible French and or Belgian origin, though I can’t say with any certainty given that the wrappers are already torn, and the chocolate, likewise consumed greedily and embarrassingly fast. There were also some sticky things that probably glow in the dark, though we have not yet confirmed this. The packaging was entirely in French, and so we spent most of the time talking about how, despite several years worth of French classes, I still couldn't ascertain what the heck these things were. At any rate, we are enthused and plan to stick them on a board in the sun, and then around the house on the walls. Most likely, they will make good night lights for our resident frog population.

We must also report that toast is now possible. We have realized after many bread and butter mornings that grilling toast here not only works, but also thankfully removes all hair on my hands. This means that Jennie’s trifecta of Oatmeal, bananas and cinnamon toast is complete. We have only to convince the local store owners that there is in fact a large market for diet soda. This has proven to be no easy task, but one that, working in tandem, we may be able to bring to fruition given two years worth of pleading and tantrums.

For me, I spent the morning trimming my beard. Usually about once a week I happen by a mirror and stand aghast at the freak staring in my direction. This particular morning, I decided I had the time, and the need to trim the thing given that I woke to find a moth fully dead and probably partially decomposed somewhere underneath my chin region. I wouldn't call the result a proper haircut or beard trim, but it certainly is shorter. I still make babies cry, old mamas snicker and school children flee, but I think they pause for a minute now before doing so. Sometimes I give them what they want and do something strange. Running at the kids, hands raised and growling like the abominable snowman is priceless, though I don’t have a sense for what it does to my professional credibility as of yet.

More than anything, we want to thank all of you for supporting us with kind words and packages. We miss home, and we miss family and friends, so your words, and your chocolate mean a lot. Stay tuned for a safari update, and our work with the school, and many, many thanks.


Much Love from Kenya, Nick and Jennie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just got finished running with your dad, he talked about you all the whole time and he gets so involved he starts running faster, don't know how to slow him down. Sounds like you all are really ruffing it, I would have better accomadations in Iraq, but not as rewarding. "Survivor" has nothing on you. Looking foward to reading more blogs, stay healthy. Bob Spiller.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nick & Jenny!!!!!
I'm so glad I have a way to communicate with you both. Your parents stopped over to say "hello" last night. Happy Thanksgiving!! It looks amazing where you are...what a wonderful experience for you guys. You will have a lot of neat stories to tell your kids!!! (Bobby is taking care of the squirrel population here.) Love,Mary Beth